After 32 years, the Giro d’Italia returns to the town of Como. The 15th stage of the Giro will start Sunday, May 26, 2019 from Ivrea with arrival in Como.
There will be 113 kilometers covered by cyclists in the province of Como, from 116 to 229 to be covered in almost three hours of ups and downs touching Bregnano, Cermenate, Cantù, Alzate Brianza, Ponte Lambro, Canzo, Asso, Civenna, Sormano, Zelbio, Nesso, Torno, Tavernerio and Como. A raid is also planned in the province of Lecco, in Onno, to get down on the lake before facing the Ghisallo.
Among the greats of the pedal to be present at the Giro, and then in Como: Vincenzo Nibali, the reigning world champion Alejandro Valverde, Mikel Landa, Tom Dumoulin, Primoz Roglic, the sprinter Fernando Gaviria and Egan Bernal Gomez.
Roads affected by the closure
Lakeside Trento and Trieste from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm on 26 May.
Cavour Square, Fontana Street, Cairoli Street from 9:00 pm on 25 May to 11:00 pm on 26 May. On these roads there is also a ban on parking for all categories of vehicles.
From 3:00/3:30 pm and until the passage of the vehicle indicating “Fine Corsa” (End of Journey) the following streets and squares are forbidden to traffic:
Torno Street, Amendola Square, Manzoni Street, People’s Square, Dante Street, Grossi Street, Road to Brunate, Road to Civiglio, Patriotic Street, V Alpini Square, Appiani Street, Concordia Square, Ghislanzoni Street, 37 Provincial Road, Zampiero street, Martignoni square, Pila street, Rienza street, Briantea street, Piave street, Ambrosoli street, Giulio Cesare avenue, Roosevelt avenue, Innocenzo XI avenue, Lucini street, Varese avenue, Cavallotti avenue, Lungo Lario, Cavour square.
The transit of vehicles between the south and north of the city will always be guaranteed.
From 3:00 pm on May 26th:
- From South to North
Vehicles coming from Camerlata will drive along Napoleona Street, San Rocco Square, Grandi street, Roosevelt Avenue (up to Lucini Street), Innocenzo XI Avenue.
- From North to South
The vehicles from Cernobbio, Pontechiasso, arrived in Piazzale San Rocchetto will all be diverted along Venini Street, Regina Street, Albrici Street, Grandi Street, S.Rocco Square.
The other itineraries will be practicable according to the needs of the race and in full respect of the accessibility to the polling stations.
Deleted parking spaces
From 8:00 am until the passage of the vehicle indicating “Fine Corsa” (End of the race) there is a ban on parking along the following squares and streets:
Torno street, Amendola square, Manzoni street, V Alpini square, Appiani street, Ghislanzoni street, Piave street, Ambrosoli street, Giulio Cesare avenue, Cacciatori delle Alpi square, Lungo Lario Trieste (between Cavour square and Matteotti square).
In the other parking areas along the race track but outside the roadside ( Roosevelt Avenue, Varese Avenue, etc..) the vehicles will not be removed but can not resume the march in the closing period for the transit of the race.
From midnight to 11:00 pm on 26 May, there is a ban on forced removal parking for all categories of vehicles along the following squares and streets:
Largo Borgonovo, Vittorio Veneto Avenue, Puecher Avenue, Somaini Square, Masia Street (from Somaini Square to Rosselli Avenue), Sinigaglia Street (from Masia Avenue to Borgonovo Square).
The polling stations at the school in Sinigaglia Avenue can still be reached by car from Rosselli Avenue, Masia Avenue and Sinigaglia Avenue.
From 9:00 am on 26 May to 7:00 pm on 27 May there is a ban on forced removal parking for all categories of vehicles along the following squares and streets:
Simone Cantoni street, Road to Cernobbio (internal parking “Lido” – in this area the parking ban will end at 11:00 pm on May 26).
Recommended parking spaces
Let your car in the recommended car parks and reach the arrival of the stage Ivrea-Como of the Giro d’Italia on 26 May by public transport or on foot.
- Parking Grandate Station: Colombo street – FREE – Train from Grandate station (near the car park) to Como Borghi and Como Lago stations
- parking Casate: Virgilio street – FREE – Bus Line 1 “San Fermo – Como” (stops 250 meters from the parking lot along D’Annunzio street) – Get tickets to use the service (tickets sold at authorized retailers or on board the bus at an increased price)
- parking Piazza D’Armi: Sportivi Comaschi Street – FREE – Bus Line 50 “Cantù – Como” (stops near the parking lot along Canturina Street) – Get tickets to use the service (tickets on sale at a dedicated point of sale on site, at authorized retailers or on board the bus at an increased price)
- parking garage Valmulini: via Dei Mulini – 1,00 euro all day long – Bus (various lines – stops along Napoleona Street) – Get tickets to use the service (tickets on sale in the car park at a discounted price, at authorized retailers or on board the bus at an increased price)
- parking garage Castelnuovo: Castelnuovo Street – flat rate Sunday 1,00 euro from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm – Near the race track and a 10-minute walk from the city centre.
- Parking San Martino: Castelnuovo Street – FREE – Near the race track and 10 minutes walk from the city center
- Park Coop sales point: Giussani Street n.11 – FREE, available from 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm – Bus Line 6 “Breccia – Maslianico” (stop near the car park) to Camerlata Square, then Bus Line 1 “San Fermo – Como” – Get a ticket to use the service (tickets on sale at the authorized dealers or on board the bus at an increased price)
- Parking at the Rebbio Cemetery: Ennodio street – FREE. From Varesina street (stop near the intersection with Lissi street): Bus Line 1 “San Fermo – Como” – Get a ticket to use the service (tickets on sale at authorized retailers or on board the bus at an increased price)
It is also available the parking of the Palasampietro of Casnate con Bernate (CO), Rome Street: about 1 km away is reachable the railway stop Portichetto-Luisago of the line Trenord Saronno – Como.
Follow the signs on the streets to reach the chosen car park.
Access to and exit from the central car parks can be difficult and the offer of blue parking spaces along the way restricted, due to the closure of the roads for the passage of the event. We therefore recommend parking outside the city and continuing with public transport.
Info about blue street parking (map parking meters and fares)
Please note that on the day of the event the public transport timetable is in force.
The connection from the car parks
Sunday, May 26th additional trips are planned in the afternoon hours of the bus line 50 “Cantù – Como” of Asf between Albate and city center, in transit from the parking Piazza D’Armi, Camerlata square and Valmulini parking garage (round trip). Please note that to use public transport (bus and train) you must have a ticket.
How to travel by alternative means
Reach the arrival of the Ivrea-Como stage of the Giro d’Italia on 26 May by bike.
Sunday 26 May 2019 it will be possible to leave your bike free inside the Sinigaglia stadium (Vittorio Veneto Steet): 500 seats available from 12:30 am to 7:30 pm, with a control service.
Trenord Day Pass: Reach the arrival of the Ivrea-Como stage of the Giro d’Italia on 26 May from any station in Lombardy for only € 13.00.
The Trenord Day Pass special ticket is valid for 1 adult (from 14 years of age) and children up to 13 years of age travel free if accompanied to the ticket holder and related. It is valid for one day, it allows a return trip on all Trenord trains (except Malpensa Express) and can only be used on Sunday, May 26, 2019.
Railway stations close to the centre:
- Como San Giovanni: railway line Milan Porta Garibaldi – Monza – Como – Chiasso
- Como Nord Lago: railway line Milano Cadorna – Saronno – Como
For more information: trenord.it
To buy tickets: store.trenord.it
Trains TiLo (dal Canton Ticino e da Varese)
Daily connections to Como San Giovanni station from all over the Canton of Ticino and from Varese:
- RE10: Erstfeld – Bellinzona – Lugano – Chiasso – Como San Giovanni – Milano
- Line S10: Bellinzona – Lugano – Mendrisio – Chiasso – Como San Giovanni
- Line S40: Como S. Giovanni – Chiasso – Mendrisio – Varese
For more information: tilo.ch
Drop the car and reach the arrival of the Ivrea-Como stage of the Giro d’Italia on 26 May by boat.
Daily connections from the main towns of the lake until the arrival of the stage. On May 26 the Navigation Lake Como will make available to the first basin ships of greater capacity. The captains will be sensitized to pay particular attention to the transport of bicycles, it being understood that boarding will be subject to the availability of space on board based on the volumes of passenger traffic.
Exceptionally, the travel 357 that ends the service in Como at 8:39 pm will make an extraordinary additional travel with stop at Tavernola and Cernobbio to facilitate the return to the parking lots.
For more information: navigazionelaghi.it
The changes to public transport
Timely changes to the scheduled services on Sunday 26 May: download warning
From the beginning of the service until 1 pm and from the end of the race until the end of the service
- Line 1: from Via Milano alta continue left into Roosevelt Street, straight on into Innocenzo Street IX, then regular (return: from Gallio Street turn right into Varese Avenue, left into Cattaneo Street, right into Milano Street, then regular).
- Line 4-5: Lines are limited in Matteotti Square.
- Lines 6-7-11: from Giulio Cesare Street go straight on to Roosevelt Street, straight on to Innocenzo IX Street, then regular (return: from Gallio Street turn right to Varese Avenue, left to Cattaneo Street, right to Milano Street, then regular).
- Line 8: No change.
- Line C10: The line is limited to San Giovanni station
- Line C30: The line is limited in Matteotti Square
- Line C40-C45: No change
- Line C50, arriving in Como from Battisti Street continues in Lecco Avenue, People’ s Square, Manzoni Street and ends in the Bus Station (regular return)
- Lines C60, C62, C71, C74: No change
- Line C70, arriving in Como from Milano Alta Street continues left into Roosevelt Street, straight on Innocenzo XI Street, left into Venini Street, and end at the station San Giovanni. (return from Venini Street, straight into Gallio Street on the right for Varese Avenue, left for Cattaneo Street, right for Milano Street then regular.)
From 1:00 pm to the end of the race
Changes are made at San Rocchetto
- Line 1: from S. Rocco it is diverted to Grandi Street, Innocenzo XI Street (counter-roman lane) and then according to the deviation already described. (return: detour to Venini Street, Regina Teodolinda Street with temporary stop at the Basilica of S. Abbondio, Albricci Street, S. Rocco)
- Lines 4-5-C30-C60: Lines do not operate
- Lines 6-11: from Muggiò Street go straight on to Donatori di Sangue Street, Turati Street, Canturina Street, Camerlata Street, Napoleona Street, Grandi Street, Innocent XI Street (counter-roman lane) and then second detour already described (return: detour to Venini Street, Regina Teodolinda Street with temporary stop at the Basilica of S. Abbondio, Albricci Street, S. Rocco, Napoleona Street, Camerlata, Canturina Street, Turati Street, Donatori di Sangue Street, then regular for Muggiò Street)
- Line 7: Only operates between Sagnino and San Giovanni Station
- Lines 8, C62, C70, C71, C74: from S. Rocco are diverted to Grandi Street, Innocenzo XI Street (subway lane), Venini Street, San Giovanni Station. (return: to Regina Teodolinda Street with temporary stop at the Basilica of S. Abbondio, Albricci Street, S. Rocco)
- Line C40-C45: The races end at Lora Cimitero.
- Line C50: from S. Rocco it is diverted to Grandi Street, Innocenzo XI Street (counter-roman lane), and ends in Recchi Street. (return: F.lli Rosselli Street, Masia Avenue, Venini Street, Regina Teodolinda Street with temporary stop at the Basilica of Sant’Abbondio, Albricci Street, San Rocco)
Temporary Ghisallo Museum – 2 Pink Wheels
From Saturday 4 to Monday 27 May at the Broletto Palace and in the streets of downtown Como will be set up two sections of the exhibition on the Madonna of Ghisallo Cycling Museum and some shots of the photographer Fabrizio Delmati: Temporary Ghisallo Museum – 2 Pink Wheels
At Broletto memorabilia, memories, emotions, sweaters and bicycles, rare pieces from the collection of the Madonna of Ghisallo museum in Magreglio.
There are timeless bicycles in the middle of this exhibition. There are bikes by Gino Bartali (Legnano 1948), Fiorenzo Magni (used at Giro 1955 – winner) and Fausto Coppi. Three bicycles for three men in the middle of the exhibition that Cycling honors, remembers, celebrates and does every year through the Giro. This is a journey to the Broletto enriched by images, voices and video projections.
Also at the Broletto will be exposed 26 color images, for the exhibition spread “2 Pink Wheels”, which retrace from the sixties to the present day the fantastic history of the most popular sports show in 21 days.
In the shopping streets 70 black and white images will tell the emotions of the races of the lap between joy, fatigue and pain. In some showcases will be exposed the jerseys of the teams that participated in previous editions of the Giro in order to live a unique experience between sport, art and shopping.
Vintage cars of the Traffic Police
on 24, 25 and 26 May from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm in Duomo Square, Como, there will be an exhibition of the historical vehicles of the traffic police used in the editions of the race.
Saturday, May 25 from 10:00 to 20:00 in Piazza Verdi, Como, gincana for young cyclists and guided tour of the exhibition along the shopping streets.
Madonna of Ghisallo Cycling Museum
The Giro d’Italia is well worth a visit to Madonna of Ghisallo Cycling Museum, Magreglio.
The Madonna of Ghisallo Cycling Museum aims to collect, preserve and enhance, from spontaneous donations from fans, sports associations and champions of various eras, the events of a technical vehicle, a sport and its actors, the main events which have made history of cycling, as well as a society gone to modernity with the bicycle.
Here, also through the meeting of fans with the protagonists of the sport and the cycling environment that the museum promotes, we want to make known and study the past and present of cycling, reflecting on values, problems and the future of cycling and sport.
Until May 31, the Museum also hosts an exhibition of Riccardo Guasco The art of illustrating the bicycle.
- Full price ticket: € 6,00
- Reduced ticket: € 5,00 (University students, Cyclists – visitors who have come by bicycle to Ghisallo -, Member of cycling associations with card, Member of the Italian Touring Club)