Overlooking the Lake, Villa d'Este is located in a botanical park of about 10 hectares, enriched by statues and wonderful architectural elements. The complex consists of several buildings: the two main ones, the Cardinal's Building and the Queen's Pavilion, and other smaller villas, as well as one of the first floating pools of the Lario, installed when the structure was already used as a hotel, and a sports area.
Built in the 16th Century, the customer of the construction of Villa d'Este was Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio, born in Cernobbio but committed as a diplomat and Secretary of State for the Vatican State. Designed by architect Pellegrino Pellegrini, it is considered one of the most beautiful architectural works of the sixteenth century of the local area. The property passed into the hands of various noble families, until 1873, when the Ciani family transformed the complex, too expensive to guarantee an adequate maintenance, into a Grand Hotel.