Through a careful selection of artefacts from the rich collection of Villa Carlotta's ceramics, the exhibition "Le ceramiche di Villa Carlotta" (10 September - 8 November - in the Plaster Room of the villa) offers an insight into everyday life at the time of its last owner, Duke Giorgio di Sassonia Meiningen, who stayed there from 1850 until the early 20th century.
In recent years, Villa Carlotta has started a careful work of reorganization and cataloguing of its assets with the intention of protecting its heritage in the best possible way, but also to enhance its historical importance with the general public.
The exhibition, the homonymous volume "Le ceramiche di Villa Carlotta" by Raffaella Ausenda (launch on September 25th) and the special guided tours of the collections (scheduled for October and November) are born with this spirit.
Alongside the important fine porcelain services used for mundane occasions, in the Villa there are complete toilet facilities and breakfast, lunch and tea tableware of refined shapes and precious decorations, which demonstrate the attention to fashion and the refined taste of Giorgio II and his wife.
The careful work of cataloguing and study of Raffaella Ausenda, art historian and specialist in the subject, has brought to light curious discoveries, such as the great service of Limoges and other ceramics purchased by Duke Giorgio II together with his third wife Ellen during their stays on the Côte d'Azur.