Villa Erba is a place of great historical importance, home to the Museum of Luchino Visconti’s Rooms, as well as an exhibition and conference center. Overlooking the lake, it is located in a beautiful park and part of the property is also a green area that once served as a horse track. Often chosen for weddings, corporate events or trade fairs, it is open to the public only on these occasions or cultural events.
Villa Erba is one of the most famous and important villas of Como Lake; commissioned at the beginning of 1900 by Carlo Erba as a representative residence, it is still today a place of great charm. The building, developed on two floors, has a square plan, an imposing entrance porch and, on the other side, facing the lake, there are the main reception rooms and a wide staircase leading down to the dock. The panoramic tower, a typical architectural element of the time, served as a link between the noble floors and those intended for staff.
Wanted by Carlo Erba, founder of the homonymous pharmaceutical company, it was designed and built between 1898 and 1901 by the architects Angelo Savoldi and Giovan Battista Borsani. Mr. Erba bought the great estate from the Peluso family, owner at that time also of Villa d'Este, and took care of the restoration of the various buildings located in the area, as well as of the park. They also bought the other villa of the estate, the current Villa Gastel.
The heir Carla Erba married the duke Giuseppe Visconti di Modrone and from their union was born Luchino Visconti, famous director considered the father of Italian neorealism, who spent several periods of his life here. During the war the complex was occupied by a German command and fortunately the structure was not damaged.
In 1986,the villa was transformed into a corporate property which was involved in the realization of a fair and congress center, as well as in cultural, touristic and various activities.