The Festival of San Giovanni with its spectacular fireworks, music show and solemn procession to the Comacina Island by boat is the most famous and unmissable event of Lake Como.
In this area of the lake, the shores form a sort of an inlet, right in the centre of which lays the Comacina Island, the only island of the lake. The village of Ossuccio spreads right in front of it, from along the shores up on the slopes of the surrounding mountains. The Comacina Island is the stage where the fireworks display will take place, while the waters surrounding it will be the parterre and the slopes of the mountains will become the bleachers from where to admire the show.
- 19:00 – Ossuccio Municipal Park
- 22:30 – Comacina Island, Ossuccio
Great fireworks and musical show with symbolic fire of the island and lighting of the “Zoca de l’oli”: the area in front of the island.
- 09:30 – Church of St. Euphemia, Loc. Ossuccio
From Parish Church of Saints Euphemia and Vincenzo will start the Historical Procession followed by the Solemn Procession to the Comacina Island on boat with folklore groups and figures in period costume accompanied by the historic Musical Body “Vittorio Veneto” of Tremezzo.
11:00 – Comacina Island
Celebration of Holy Mass in the ruins of the ancient Basilica di Sant’Eufemia.
- 19:00 – Ossuccio Municipal Park
- 21:00 – Ossuccio, Lake Park
Bible Festival in Memory of St. John the Baptist
Varenna Lake Festival
- 22:00 – Varenna
Historical re-enactment of the “Landing of the islanders” in Riva Grande.
- 23:15 – Varenna
Great fireworks display on the lake.
Closing Road SS340 “Regina”
The Strada Statale Regina will be closed to traffic on Saturday, 22/06/2019 from 20:00 to 24:00 hours in the stretch Argegno-Lenno. Alternative route: Argegno » San Fedele » Laino » Porlezza » Menaggio » Lenno.
After 20:00 the transit will be granted only to residents. For non-residents the access and parking in Ossuccio with vehicles and motorcycles will be regulated by a special PASS. Read below for full details of the PASS.
A shuttle bus (managed by ASF) will be available free of charge between Griante and Ossuccio on Saturday 22/06/2019 from 19:00 to 1:00.
Info about times and stops at this link.
PASS for Cars and Motorcycles
The transit on the municipal roads will normally be granted only to residents.
For non-residents access by car and motorcycle will be allowed only to park in the appropriate areas provided by the organizer, until places are available, buying on site the BLUE Pass, or within private property, showing the RED Pass.
- PASS BLU: for those who intend to park in the appropriate areas provided by the organizer. It can be purchased directly on the day of the event (with a minimum contribution of € 5.00 per car or motorcycle) at the entrance to the town of Ossuccio, along the Via Provinciale (Click here for the exact location.), from 11:00 until seats last and no later than 16:00. From 16:00 you can park (for a fee or in the free car parks) at Lenno and use the free shuttle service. We remind you therefore that you can not buy the BLUE PASS before the day of the event.
- PASS RED: for those who have the opportunity to park on private property. This Pass is FREE. The owner of the private area must go to the offices of the ANTIQUARIUM and collect the Passes to be given to the people who will use his parking. Read below the collection times.
Hours and place of withdrawal of the Red Pass
- from Wednesday to Friday: from 10:00 to 14:00 at the ANTIQUARIUM of Comacina Island (Via Somalvico – Loc. Ossuccio – Tremezzina)
- Saturday: from 10:00 to 15:00 at the Municipal Offices of the former Town Hall of Ossuccio
For more information on PASS please contact these numbers:
+39 0344 56369 / +39 320 4637782
Operating venue of the Festival
The Municipal Offices of the former Town Hall of Ossuccio will function as the Operative Headquarters of the Festival on Saturday, June 22, 2019 with continuous hours from 9:00 to 24:00.
Tel. +39 0344 56369 / Cell. +39 320 4637782
Continue to follow us by subscribing to the Newsletter to stay updated on the details of the San Giovanni Festival 2019.
You will receive every week all the events that take place on Lake Como.
Navigazione Lago di Como organizes Night Cruises to attend the fireworks display, departing from Como, Bellagio, Menaggio, Varenna and Tremezzo.
Tickets are on sale from Monday, May 13, 2019 only in the ticket offices of Como, for departures from Como, or Bellagio, Menaggio, Varenna and Tremezzo, for departures from the Lake Center.
All the info at this link.
Historical notes about Isola Comacina
Isola Comacina and all the Lake Lario municipalities sided with Lombardy’s capital during the Ten Years War, begun in 1118 because of the rivalry between Como and Milan for the supremacy and control of the main communication line and alpine passes. Despite of two defeats, Milan conquered Como in 1127. Como, taking advantage of Federico Barbarossa’s expedition, joined forces against Milan. Isola Comacina was quickly invaded, burnt and destroyed in 1169. The island never returned to life and some survivors moved to Varenna, known as “Insula Nova”