The Church of San Siro also known as the Church of Saints Siro and Margherita, is a Catholic church located in Grandola ed Uniti in the historical center of Codogna, in the province and diocese of Como.
The church, founded in the 14th century, was considerably transformed between the 17th and 18th centuries; it has a single nave with side chapels and a quadrangular presbytery; the facade features a mixtilinear stone portal with a central coat of arms bearing the date 1744; on the lintel of the side portal is engraved the date 1738.
The church consists of a single nave with side chapels and a quadrangular chancel. The facade features a stone portal with a central coat of arms bearing the date 1744; the lintel of the side portal is engraved with the date 1738.
The main altar, wooden, gilded and richly decorated with statuettes, is very reminiscent of the altar in the church of San Giovanni in Bellagio. Above in the choir vault are depicted the four Evangelists with St. Syrus ascending in the central lunette.
Behind the chancel are painted the main events of St. Margaret's life: St. Margaret with the dragon, St. Margaret's martyrdom, and St. Margaret's ascent to heaven.
In front of the chancel is a statue of St. Syrus with the prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah. The decorations of the four side chapels were finished in 1638.
Along the nave are six side altars, the three on the right are dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the Crucifixion and the Transit of St. Joseph. The three on the left are dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua with Child, Saints Ursula and Margaret, and the Blessed Virgin of Sorrows.
Adjacent to the church is the Brotherhood Oratory dedicated to St. John of Nepomuk.
Also of note is the organ built in 1811.
Piazzale Giovanni Battista OxiliaLoc. Codogna22010Grandola ed Uniti (CO) Italy