Saturday 12 and Sunday, June 13, 2021 at the Liceo Alessandro Volta will be held for the exhibition Bellezze Interiori the event: EXHIBITION | Edited by Museo Volta.
Liceo Classico e Scientifico A. Volta
Built to serve as a monastery of Augustinian nuns around the middle of 1200, it saw its greatest expansion two decades later thanks to a grant from the Lucini family of Como and Bishop Leone Lambertenghi. After decades of management by the Society of Jesus, suppressed in 1773, the Gymnasium of Como became Real Ginnasio. The following year, Alessandro Volta was appointed regent of the school and, in 1775, permanent professor of physics until his new appointment, three years later, at the University of Pavia. During the Napoleonic Italian Republic (1803), the Liceo was activated in the current building as a sub-university school. Beginning the following year, renovation work began under the guidance of Ticinese architect Simone Cantoni, who fulfilled the difficult task of transforming the monastery into a scholastic building and destined for cultural institutions, envisioning a neoclassical style both for the interior of the structure and for the facade, which is supported by eight cipolin marble columns, with Corinthian bases and capitals, taken from the baptistery of San Giovanni in Atrio.
Since 1810, the Liceo assumed the name of Liceo Departmental of Lario. With the return of Lombardy to Austria, the Gymnasium and the Liceo were reformed. In 1851, the Ginnasio and the Liceo were merged into a single Ginnasio Liceale, while in 1865, the Liceo Ginnasio was named after the former regent, Alessandro Volta. Of considerable importance is the Science Museum inside the building. In 1838, a Technological Cabinet of Experimental Physics and Natural History was officially instituted, annexed to the Liceo, even though the didactic use of machines for experiments and naturalistic collections had already been in force for some time. The natural science collections were constantly enriched over time until, in 1847, the collections became a true and proper Natural History Museum. By 1860, the Museum was home to rich collections of botanical, geological, mineralogical, paleontological and zoological finds, and donations continued to expand the collections until the last years of the 20th century; in 1994, the Bari family, from Como, donated a rich entomological collection of Lepidoptera and Coleoptera to the Liceo so that it could be integrated into the collection.
The ticket allows access to the entire event both Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm and from 2:30 pm to 7:00 pm and participation in all scheduled events.
Go to one of the two ticket offices on the day of the event for validation and temperature measurement:
TICKET OFFICE COMO: Informagiovani di Como, Via Vittorio Emanuele II 98, 22100 Como (CO)
TICKET OFFICE BRUNATE: Pro Loco di Brunate, Piazza Bonacossa, 22034 Brunate (CO)
Ticket Office closing time 18:30
For Festival ticket holders there are special fares for the funicular directly to the departure stations at the price of € 4,00 return.